From 1981 to 1996, Lama resided permanently in Asia where he completed his formal spiritual training: Nepal - India - Ladakh - Central Tibet and Kham, Nangchen. During these years, he met and received guidance, teachings and initiations from many prominent Tibetan Masters and practiced in retreat the usual set of practices taught in the Kagyüd Lineage.
Lama Sangyay Tendzin has received the transmissions of major empowerment cycles from Main Kagyud Masters, namely:
* The RINCHEN TERDZÖD from the second Kalu Rinpoche,
* The KAGYUD KA-WANG from H.E. Tai Situpa
* The KAGYUD NGAG-DZÖD from H.E. Gotshir Gyaltsab Rinpoche,
* The DAM-NGAG-DZÖD from H.E. Drubwang Sangye Nyenpa Rinpoche
* The CHIGZHEY KÜNDROL from H.E. Drubwang Sangye Nyenpa Rinpoche
* The CHÖD WANG GYA SA from H.E. Drubwang Sangye Nyenpa Rinpoche
* KALACHAKRA Empowerment from Most Venerable Dorlop Tenga Rinpoche
* Several initiations for traditional sadhana-practices such as Guru Rinpoche , Guru Marpa, Jetsun Milarepa, Chö-Je Gampopa, Manjushri, Karma Pakshi, 1000 Arms Chenrezig, Amitabha, PrajnaParamita, Ekajati, Gonkar, Dorje Phagmo, Khorlo Demchok, Gyalwa Gyamtsho, Drojang, Drolkar, Black Dzambhala, Dorje Phurba, Dorje Bernagchen etc.